Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Low Carb Thanksgiving Side Dishes

Low carb is definitely a better way of eating for me. Note I said "LOW" carb, not "NO" carb. My body doesn't handle starchy carbs well. I know that, but boy do I love them. It's hard to give them up but I've learned in the process there are other vegetables that I love as well. I'm a Calulflower fan. I can eat it pretty much any way it is prepared. With Thankgiving around the corner if you are low carb living, or maybe have guests coming whose diet is low carb based, consider adding some low carb side dishes to your table. This is one of my favorites:

Scalloped Cauliflower

Instead of Scalloped Potatoes serve Cauliflower.
Scalloped cauliflower can be made from either frozen or fresh. If using frozen, use 2 bags thawed before use and for fresh use the flowers of a large head which has been steamed. Lay half the cauliflower in a casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. If your low carb plan allows you to have onions you can sprinkle chopped onions over the cauliflower also.

Using a half stick of butter, slice into pats and drop onto the cauliflower. Top with a cup of shredded cheddar cheese and repeat the layers.Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Makes 10 servings.

Low carb side dish count:4 net carbs per serving

You can find a couple of other low carb side recipes here

No comments: